Hurting from a past abortion? We can help.
Abortion without a doubt can be one of the most traumatic experiences in a person’s life. The loss of pregnancy through abortion may be far in your past, but the pain remains. You have most likely hidden the secret deep in your heart and suffered in silence. You may feel very alone, but you are not alone! We specialize in coming alongside you and walking with you on your individual journey toward healing. In many cases, the pain of loss may be initially buried, but post-abortion trauma surfaces in relationship difficulties, depression, drug and alcohol abuse, promiscuity, or frigidity to name a few.
Surrendering the Secret is a wonderful resource we use to help heal the heartbreak. It is used worldwide to help hurting women and men find the path to healing. Your pain may not be recognized by family members, friends, or society. But we know your feelings exist, and we are here to help.
So What Is Post-Abortion Trauma?
Post-abortion trauma is a condition that can occur in both women and men after the abortion experience, due to unresolved psychological, physical, or spiritual aspects. Symptoms are similar to post-traumatic stress disorder. Some people may be better equipped to deal with the aftermath of abortion than others, but everyone is changed by it! Many women have shared, “I was never the same!”
Symptoms may not appear all at once, nor will each woman/man possess all of them. Sometimes these symptoms happen immediately and sometimes they may not surface for many years following the abortion.
Symptoms Of Post-Abortion Trauma
If you’ve experienced an abortion, your life may have changed in the ways listed below. We can help.
- Eating disorders
- Withdrawn behavior
- Loss of normal sources of pleasure
- Failure to bond with other children
- Self-punishing or self-degrading behavior
- Suicidal impulses
- Tolerance of abusive relationships
- A desire for a replacement child
- Promiscuity or frigidity
- Overwhelming sadness or crying at certain times
- Avoidance of baby reminders (baby showers or stores, etc.)
- Sleep disturbances
- Attempts to “numb” through alcohol & drug use
- Changes in relationships or marriages (70% of relationships or marriages break up within one year of an abortion; 90% within five years)
- Drive to prove financial or other types of success
- Control issues
- Difficulty in all types of intimacy
- Reduced motivation
- Abusive behavior
You are not alone. There is hope. We can help. All our services are free and confidential.
Call 309-688-0202 or email rleasure @peoriarescue.org